Fairfield Writers Group
8th of January 2011
Present: Carol, Lorraine, Helga, Maarten, Findlay, Jennifer, Lou, Vera, Anne, Dani, Wendy and Anna.
Chairing this meeting: Anna
• Great turnout for our first meeting for 2011. We welcome two new members Dani and Wendy.
This meeting was based mostly on goal setting. What plans we have to improve our writing and any ideas to improve the running of the group.
Our focus is to be “OUT THERE” and become more involved in the writing world and to gain exposure.
These include the following:-
• Meeting room- it was agreed by most that the group needs privacy when we have our meetings.
Carol and Anna will speak to the library and see if a meeting room can be arranged or a large table to be reserved at the back of the library with a partition to provide privacy.
• FWG positions- it was agreed that there are several positions in the group that need to be filled as some members are doing most of the work.Carol will send out a list of positions to filled. They will be voted on at the next meeting.
• State of Writing. As part of our focus “TO BE OUT THERE,”FWG have become members of a State of Writing. This is a website that connects everyone in the writing world from publishers to librarians. It a great social network for the group.
Therefore two more positions have been created to concentrate on our networking.
1. State of Writing
• Blog- members had a chance to look at the blog in order to use it as a reference.
There will be a lot more focus on the blog as part of our networking and as a source of information. Twitter and Facebook are also options we will develop as part of our goal this year.
• Workshops- Utilise the QWC and the library to arrange workshops to help improve our writing skills.
• Computer sessions-Some members require assistance with using their computer.Some computer sessions maybe set up at the library to help with this.
• Youth Group- Members to decide how to proceed with this group.
An agenda of issues and positions will be emailed to all members and then voted on at the next meeting.
22nd of January-Novel Meeting
12th of February-Exercise Meeting