Fairfield Writers Group
Minutes of Exercise meeting
12 March 2011
Present: Anna, Anne, Carol, Helga, Jennifer, Lorraine, Lou, Maarten
Meeting chaired: by Anna
• Venue for future meetings
When the group resumes meeting at the Fairfield Library, an area with more space in the back right-hand corner of the library will be available in future.
Lorraine advised that Michael Roland is prepared to join a meeting of the FWG and present a workshop. He ‘writes from the super-conscious” and describes how it can be done. Michael is originally from Brisbane and now lives in Texas USA.
• Suggestions for Exercise - “Settings”
Group members read out their settings exercise stories.
ACTION: It was agreed that when possible, exercise stories should be read out loud by members.
• Exercise themes for future meetings
Suggestions made included:
• eye-tie (exercises with slang)
ACTION: It was suggested that whenever possible, exercise stories should be read out loud, as is the practice with most writing groups.
• May Exercise
Jennifer to choose exercise for May.
• General Business
• Carol was congratulated by all members on her very professional-looking publication called “…………………………” which she developed via the “loulou.com” website.
• Lorraine advised that the Pottsville Writers’ Group would like to be our sister group. It was agreed that FWG would accept the kind invitation.
• Stephen King’s Memoirs on writing was recommended as a very good book to read, in particular, the section on “settings” and “learning by listening”.
ACTION: Lorraine to let the Pottsville WG know that we like to accept their invitation to be a sister group.
ACTION: Jennifer to place details of Stephen King’s book Memoirs on Writing in the “library’ section of the blog, in her role as Librarian for the FWG.
• Contributor to blog for March
Anne’s poem has been chosen to be shown on the blog.
Minutes of Novel meeting – 26 March 2011
at Yeronga RSL Services Club
No meeting was held.
9 April – Set Exercise
23 April- No meeting