Newsletter - August 2010
Fairfield Writers Group
In this issue:
Minutes of meeting – Exercises Group
Book Launch – Belinda Jeffries
New Submission Guidelines – Critiquing
Minutes of meeting – Novel/Short Stories
Volume 1, Number 7
Fairfield Writers Group - Exercise Meeting 14 August 2010
Present: Carol, Helga, Lorraine, Jennifer, Findlay, Pam and Anna
Apologies: Cecilia, Rosemary and Martin.
Chairing this meeting-Anna
• Book Launch for Belinda Jefferies on Mon 6th of September from 6-8pm at Avid Reader in West End. Belinda attended FWG book launch last year. Carol to email members of the anthology if they would like to support Belinda. Carol and Jennifer will attend the launch.
• Exercise for September- Active verses Passive voice submitted by Carol. Details of the exercise will be emailed by Carol shortly and also will be available on the blog for reference.
• Exercise for October to be creative writing-Lorraine to submit.
• It was discussed that all stories submitted need to be in Times New Roman Font or Arial for easy reading
• This month’s exercise – to write a Christmas poem or story. These poems/stories are to be used for our Christmas booklet.
Findlay read out his poem which was very funny!
Fairfield Writers Group
Novel/Short Stories Meeting 28 August 2010
Present: Anna, Lorraine, Carol
• It was decided to hold a discussion regarding an anthology for 2011 at our next exercises meeting on 11 September 2010. Please bring forward any ideas and suggestions you may have for the anthology at this meeting.
• Meeting reminders are to be sent out via email by Carol.
• Discussions were held on publishing and literary agents. Regarding literary agents, there seems to be very few in Brisbane. Carol found a website lists Australia’s small press and independent publishing community. Spunc is the name of the site and the link is http://spunc.com.au/what-is-spunc It was also mentioned that the big publishers do not accept unsolicited manuscripts and therefore you need an agent.
• Lorraine brought to the meeting part 2 of Chapter 2 of ‘I Might Have Been Me’ for critiquing.
• Last Saturday’s meeting was the smallest in numbers this year. However, we still had a productive meeting with helpful discussions and of course, went for coffee afterwards.
11 September –Exercises Group
25 September– Novel/Short Stories Group
- Fairfield Writers Group-Queensland
- Fairfield, Queensland, Australia
- Fairfield Writers Group is a mix of beginner and experienced writers who meet the second and fourth Saturdays of the month at the Brisbane City Council Library in Fairfield Gardens Shopping Centre, Fairfield road, Fairfield, Queensland. Our passion is writing and we work hard at our craft. Our aim is to encourage, support and help each other to reach new heights in our writing. New members are always made welcome and usually whisked off to the local coffee shop at the end of meetings for sustenance and socialisation with the rest of the crew.
Welcome to Fairfield Writers Group
We hope you will stop for a while and browse our site and if you like what you see, please visit us again soon.