WHALE CITY SHORT STORY COMPETITION
The SCRIBES Writers’ Group in Hervey Bay invites entries for its inaugural short story competition. Could you please inform all writers in your area.
Entries close on 1st NOVEMBER – there is time for writers to write memorable stories and we look forward to receiving them! Open to residents of Australia over 16y.o.
A fiction short story of up to 1,000 words.
The words ‘whale’ and/or ‘water’ to be used within the story.
First Prize, $100, Second $50.
Feedback note will be returned to entrants if SSAE included with entry.
Entry fee: $5.00 per story. Multiple entries accepted, two or more, $4.00 each.
No entry form required – COVER SHEET ESSENTIAL
Conditions of Entry:(Also at herveybayartscouncil.com.au (Click: New Events)
• Stories must be entrant’s own work, must not have been published and must not have been awarded a prize in any other competition.
• 12 pt Times New Roman/Courier font, double-spaced and single-sided on A4 white paper
• Cover sheet required – must show name and postal address, telephone number, title of each story and word count
• Entrant’s name not to appear on manuscript, only on cover sheet
• Title of story and page numbers must be included in header (top of each page)
• Staple entries at top left-hand corner
• Do not send original copies of stories – no entries will be returned
• Send hard copies only. No email submissions accepted.
• Entries breaching these conditions will be disqualified by the Competition Co-ordinator. The judges determine prizes. These decisions are final.
The results will appear on the Hervey Bay Council for the Arts website in December.
Please do NOT send cash in the mail. (Send SSAE if you wish for feedback note.)
All money orders and cheques are to be made payable to Hervey Bay Council for the Arts, send with your entry and cover sheet to: Secretary, Whale City Short Story Competition, PO Box 474, Pialba, Qld 4655. Enquiries: email@example.com
Fellowship of Australian Writers – New South Wales Inc
Do you have members who are interested in Life Writing but frustrated at the lack of competition for this genre? Well FAW NSW has the answer. The Walter Stone Award is given on the even biennial year for an original, unpublished manuscript to show some aspect of Australian History or have some Australian Historical significance. The prize is paid from a trust fund established by Margaret Stone to honour her late father. "Life Writing" is defined as biography, autobiography, memoir, monograph, bibliography. Biography and autobiography may be an extract to meet the word count requirements. Word count: minimum 10,000, maximum 25,000 words.
Prize is $1500
Closing Date: 30th September 2010
Further details and an entry form can be found at http://www.fawnsw.org.au/News/competitions.htm
- Fairfield Writers Group-Queensland
- Fairfield, Queensland, Australia
- Fairfield Writers Group is a mix of beginner and experienced writers who meet the second and fourth Saturdays of the month at the Brisbane City Council Library in Fairfield Gardens Shopping Centre, Fairfield road, Fairfield, Queensland. Our passion is writing and we work hard at our craft. Our aim is to encourage, support and help each other to reach new heights in our writing. New members are always made welcome and usually whisked off to the local coffee shop at the end of meetings for sustenance and socialisation with the rest of the crew.
Welcome to Fairfield Writers Group
We hope you will stop for a while and browse our site and if you like what you see, please visit us again soon.