Newsletter – November 2010
Fairfield Writers Group
In this issue:
Meetings 13 & 27 November 2010
A State of Writing
Volume 1, Number 10
Minutes of meeting Fairfield Writers Group – 13th November 2010-Exercise Group.
Present: Cecilia, Helga, Lorraine, Pam, Martin, Maarten, Jennifer, Carol & new member Robert
Apologies: Anna, Findlay
• Helga handed out the Christmas booklets she printed and made for us that contain our own pieces of writing. A big, big thank you, Helga. You do a wonderful job! I’m sure people don’t realise the work and time involved in producing these booklets. They make lovely keepsakes to remember our days at FWG and a great Christmas gift for someone.
• Lorraine and Martin have been busy organising the formation of our Youth Group together with help from Anna. Posters have been made and letters sent out, to Universities, TAFE Colleges and schools for expressions of interest.
• Lorraine was the chairperson for the ‘Critiquing’ part of our meeting.
• Today our writing exercise was to write up to 1000 words using the principle of ‘show don’t tell’. There was some excellent work submitted with Jennifer and Maarten reading their pieces ‘out loud’ for our enjoyment.
• There has been no exercise set for December, as instead we will hold a writing workshop.
• There has been no exercise set for January next year also. However, members are asked to bring along a piece of their writing for critiquing.
• Helga’s is submitting her piece of writing from today for inclusion on FWG’s blog.
• I have registered our writing group on a ‘State of Writing’ the community of Queensland writers and readers. Anna and I thought it a good idea to put our group ‘out there’. Please check it out. We can promote our group’s events etc on the site by way of blog posts and there is a link to our own blog.
• Our Christmas party will be held after the writing workshop on 11 December at the coffee shop. More details to come about the party.
Minutes of meeting Fairfield Writers Group– 13th November 2010-Novel Group
Present: Carol, Lorraine, Helga, Martin, Maarten and Anna.
Apologies: Cecilia, Robert and Findlay.
Chairing this meeting: Anna
• 11th of December is the last Fairfield Writers meeting for this year and we’ll resume on the
8th of January 2011
• At this meeting we will have a fun writing workshop to end the year.
• Our Christmas party will be held after the workshop at 12.30pm at the Coffee Shop in the Fairfield Shopping centre.
• Sandwiches and Coffee will be provided, but please bring a dessert plate to celebrate the festivities.
• The first Youth Group meeting will be held on the 11th of December 2010 at 9am.This will be run by Lorraine, Martin and Anna.
• Anthology 2011 meeting to be held at 10am after the Youth Group Meeting. The deposit of $100 will be collected from members who are participating.
• The Outline/precise for their story will be collected for approval.
• Martin’s exciting novel provides a great insight into the differences in the levels of society.
• Carol has started writing her novel, which is based on one of her stories she wrote a while ago. Great start!
• Helga read out her wonderful story- a story all women can identify with!
• Lorraine’s novel is as always heart wrenching! It’s coming along nicely.
11 December – Youth Group/Anthology Group/Writing Workshop/Christmas Party
25 December – Christmas Day
8 January 2011 – BYO Writing
8 January 2011 – BYO Writing